It’s always a good idea to keep a stash of healthy snacks lying around, so you won’t be tempted to munch on chips or dig into a pint of ice cream in between meals. I make a batch of these granola bars once every few weeks and keep them in the freezer; they’re super easy to make, and satisfying enough for whenever I’m craving something sweet.
This is a no-bake recipe with just 5 simple ingredients, adapted from the original recipe by Minimalist Baker. Here’s how to do it:
- Put 1 cup dates in a food processor and blitz until it becomes dough-like and forms into a ball.
- Transfer dates to a mixing bowl and add in 1 1/2 cup rolled oats and 1 cup mixed nuts and seeds (I use Health Best California Blend because I’m lazy, but feel free to make your own mix or just use 1 or 2 kinds of nuts). Set aside.
- In a saucepan, warm together 1/4 cup honey and 1/4 cup almond butter (I use Barney Butter’s Smooth almond butter) over low heat, and mix until well blended. Be careful not to burn.
- Pour honey-almond butter mixture over date mixture in bowl, then mix well, breaking up the dates into pieces with your mixing spoon so that everything is well blended.
- Transfer mixture to a baking pan lined with parchment paper. Cover with another sheet of parchment paper and press down on it until flattened.
- Keep in freezer for about 30 minutes or until they firm up and harden a bit, then remove and chop into squares or bars, whichever you prefer.
- Store granola bars in the freezer, and thaw for about 5 minutes whenever you need a sweet snack!